The Walsall Arboretum and Lake Company, formed in 1871, leased three hectares of land and constructed two lakes, a boathouse, a bandstand and two lodges. The arboretum opened for business in 1874, and a bicycle track was soon added.
The Arboretum occupies the site of Reynolds Hall, the home of the Persehouse family from the 16th century. In the 18th century extensive lime quarries and associated kilns and workings were developed. By the early 1840s at least one of the quarries had been flooded and was used by local people for bathing and skating. The arboretum was opened in 1874 and bought by the Council in 1884. A four hectare extension was added in 1891 and in 1902 a handsome pavilion and refreshment room was added.