The earliest recorded name of the village was Efnefeld, and under that name it is entered in Domesday Book, the first part comes from the Welsh ‘cefn’ a Welsh word meaning “ridge” or “hillside”. The nearby Kinver derives from the same word.
Enville is in the South Staffordshire district. The largest village nearby is Kinver, with the smaller villages of Bobbington and Six Ashes,”The Sheepwalks”, a popular walking area, are nearby as is Kinver Edge. Enville Golf Course is just outside the village. The small hamlet of Six Ashes marks the old border of two counties: Staffordshire and Shropshire and was the center of the division of land as drawn up by the 1405 Tripartite Indenture between Owain Glyndŵr, Edmund Mortimer, and Henry Percy, 1st Earl of Northumberland.
The tiny village consists of The Cat public house, a post office, a general store, an antique shop and around 100 houses. St Mary’s Church stands to the west of the village. The present ornate tower was built in 1871, when the original tower was taken down. Evidence of an earlier church on the site is to be found in a small stone figure of Saxon origin built into the arcading above the south aisle. The church has a Norman nave (about AD 1100) and a transitional chancel (built by Roger de Birmingham, AD 1272-1307) and despite extensive restorations in 1749 and 1871 the distinguishing features remain. The church also contains four, 15th century misericords, which are placed on either side of the choir stalls.
The village is dominated by the large Enville Hall estate. The Earls of Stamford lived in Enville Hall which is still owned and lived in by the family though the title is extinct. The Hall, which once boasted its own private racecourse (now a mere forestry track), remains a private house, but it hosts occasional events each year.
The park and garden at Enville Hall retain the imprint of over 700 years of human activity and the grounds are listed as a Grade II* landscape on theEnglish Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens. The Hall and some of the buildings within the grounds are also listed.
Enville is the home of the Grey family who originated in Leicestershire and built Bradgate Park, once the home of Lady Jane Grey. A minor branch of the family moved to Staffordshire in the late 15th century and acquired through marriage the manor of Enville. Thomas Grey built a new red brick house with turrets and crow-stepped gables beside a deer park in the 1530s.